Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Spider Story

Ok, this one is going first because it's kind of entertaining now that I look back on it, but it was seriously disgusting and somewhat scary for me when it happened.

Let's start with some background first: I don't like spiders. They're creepy to me, gross looking, and just plain EEW!!! I don't know what made me be afraid of them, but I am to a point. The little ones, I'm somewhat ok with. I can squash them if need be, but the big ones...you better do it for me or give me a very accurate way of doing it from about 10 feet away! Now, having said that...if they're in a cage or something where I know they won't 'get me', I'm ok with them. It's when they're out in the open that they freak me out. Now, just so you can picture it...we have a 2 car attached garage. I park closest to the door going into the house, and he parks on the other side. Normally he pulls straight in, but the majority of the time, I back in. Mental picture in place?

Ok, here's what happened. Last Thursday, Michael and I went to the Triduum service at church for Passover. When we came home, I got out of the truck and walked behind it to head to the door to go into the house. He went the other way (around the back of my car) so he could unlock the door. I came around the front of my car, froze and gasped. Literally FROZE. I couldn't move!!! Michael said "what's wrong?", and I said "Big...freaking...spider!" and pointed towards the floor about half way between the garage door and the door into the house. Mental picture still going? Good. Now, of course his response was "Geez, honey, it's just a spider. It's one of God's creatures." That last part...I sensed a small amount of sarcasm in his voice...lol Michael went and grabbed something to spray it with. I don't know if it was bug stuff, or brake-clean stuff (which I might add...works WONDERS against all kinds of insect type pests). I didn't take my eyes off of the intruder though. I wasn't going to let it get away that easily! Mind you, I still haven't moved from my perch in front of my car. He sprayed...the spider started cruising away...I stepped back "eeeew"ing. Michael started in with the 'it's only a spider thing' again and all I could think was "You should be in my shoes right now!!!" hehehee Well, he squatted down between me and the spider, sprayed it again, and I got a little braver...with a lead blocker in place, I was no longer the main target! I squatted down behind him, extended my arm...phone primed and ready to take a picture...and snapped this...



Keep in mind that my phone was about two feet away from the spider when I took that picture. GROSS!!! From the tip of the front leg, to the tip of the back leg just as it's shown there, was probably about the length of my pinkie, or about 2 1/2 inches. I thought it looked like a wolf spider...who knows. All that matters is that thing is dead now and will never get into the house! Thank you LORD!!! I seriously don't know what I would have done if that thing was in the house... Unfortunately, it is spring time, and that's when all the creepy crawlies come out to play!!!

On to a little more funny now. I came in to work the next day and told a co-worker about the night before. I left out the fact that it was a spider that I was talking about, and when I said "this is what I saw" and went to hand the phone to her, she about dropped it because of the picture. heheheeee We torment each other on a somewhat regular basis. :-)

Anyways...I'm not sure when my next update is going to be. I'll try to get back to the once a day thing...we'll see how that goes!!!

~Peanut


"The year's at the spring
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hillside's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in His heaven -
All's right with the world!"
-Robert Browning

2 comments:

  1. Spiders! I had to quickly scroll past the picture! I am so afraid and completely understand the fear. I will have to tell you about the time I had to kill one because I was the only one home (not the current apartment but a different one that I could not wait to get out of). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not a huge fan either if you couldn't tell lol

    ReplyDelete