Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

It's A Sad, Sad Day...

…In Hockeytown. The Wings lost game 5 last night to the Penguins in triple overtime. They put up a helluva fight, but alas… Looks like my original prediction of Wings in 6 might come true! Stanley is on its way to Pittsburgh right now and hopefully, it will get raised tomorrow night by the great red and white!!!

Now on to my gripe. My brother and I see eye to eye on this, and maybe other people will agree. Why is it, that when you watch a hockey game on NBC, ESPN, ESPN2, or FSN they don’t broadcast the National Anthem? I’m ticked off enough that they don’t broadcast all of the games on local channels anymore, but having to rely on CBC – A CANADIAN channel – to actually hear the AMERICAN National Anthem …it’s just plain stupid. I don’t know about any of you, but I’m PROUD of the country I live in, even if the economy is going down the tubes! I am a huge hockey fan, but I don’t have cable (CBC doesn’t come in either), so I can’t watch 90% of the regular season games. I am grateful that NBC finally decided to pick up the playoffs starting with game 3, but please…broadcast the National Anthem!!! I watched game 2 with Cletus at the house on CBC, and I stood up for the Anthem…out of respect for my country. Maybe these local stations need to find their respect again, and show it with any of the sports contests they broadcast by playing this great country’s National Anthem.

GO WINGS!!!!!!

~Peanut


"Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"
-Francis Scott Key

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your complaint on the national anthem. WTF!!!! I think it is so cool that the Canadien fans also sing along, sometimes even drowning out the singer. I have noticed some local US hockey stations show the national anthems.. FSN Detroit does (Karen Neuman is SOOOOOOO Hot!!!!) Chicago, Buffalo, and Boston. In Chicago the fans so absolutely bonkers during the singing. Its deafening. That has been a tradition there since the 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Buffalo, they play both national anthems regardless of who is playing out of respect for their season ticket holders due to over half of them being Canadien!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a while since I've been able to watch FSN, but hey...if they show it THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! I actually like to watch CBC when they do hockey night in Canada with Don Cherry...that guy cracks me up...

    The majority of the Detroit stations don't broadcast the Anthem though...so until they do, poop on them...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don Cherry!!!! He is such a pain in the backside. I heard him a few weeks ago slamming on Detroit fans since the arena wasn't sold out for the Nashville series. People have to budget their money. They can't sit there and ramble about nothing and get paid for it like he does!!!!!

    ReplyDelete