Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Close Encounters of the Furry Kind

I decided to have a picnic lunch with Julia today. We don't spend a lot of time outside before Michael gets home on a normal day, so I thought this would be fun! Well, I went out to lay the blanket on the ground and noticed a squirrel sitting by the tree eating some of the fallen bird seed. This is not out of the ordinary. I didn't think much of it until I started walking towards him and he didn't move. Now, that isn't always out of the ordinary, but I got within about three feet of him before he just turned a little bit. I snapped a picture with my phone before he finally decided to duck behind the tree, then I headed in to get Julia.

I snagged my camera, Julia's lunch, and we outside. The squirrel was still sitting there but he slowly made his way onto the deck railing, staying within ten feet of us. It was quite distracting for Julia, as you can imagine. I hopped up and started taking some pictures of him. He came pretty close to our blanket, probably because he smelled the food, so I picked up Julia's lunch, and said "let's go back inside, kiddo." We got up and I started heading towards the house. Julia took a few steps towards the squirrel, and he took about 5 steps towards us! I really didn't want to have to deal with a squirrel attacking me or my daughter...lol As we walked away, he decided to sniff the blanket we were sitting on. He never got ON the blanket, but got pretty close...then that little goober had the nerve to follow us to the door!!!

It was quite the adventure. As I sit here typing this, he's back under the tree eating the fallen bird seed again.

Here are some pictures...Enjoy! (None of these have been edited.)

His beginning "perch".

Checking us out as we headed towards the blanket to eat.

Zoomed all the way out so you can see how close he was.

Say cheese!

He investigated the blanket (which, mind you, is still in the yard...lol)

Following us to the door. Sorry 'bout the bird poop. I think we have a nest in the tree. 

And another "perspective" shot.

All in all, it was a good lunch! And adventures are always fun. What kind of "close encounters" have you had with some furry friends?

God bless!

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I will have to show you a video I got from September when we visited Massachusetts. We went to a zoo that had a "deer forest". Just an open area of woods with a TON of deer and they are very friendly especially if you have food for them, haha.

    ReplyDelete