Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day!!!

Hello world, I am an American and I have exercised my right to vote! I hope you do as well.

This morning, I left an hour earlier than I normally would for work. When I got to my polling place, the line was wrapped around the side of the building...I thought for sure it was going to take at least 2 hours to complete the process. Well, after standing in line for less than 5 minutes, and reading half a chapter in the book I brought with me, a volunteer came out and said "If anyone is positive that you're voting in precinct 'x', please go inside and go through the doors on the right.' SWEET!!! Once I got inside, I was still in line, but only behind about 15 people instead of 200. I was done within a matter of 10 minutes once I got inside the building. It was fantastic! I was still early to work even though I went off my normal route by about 4 miles to vote! It was great. Now, I'll be watching the results like a hawk for the hour that I have at home between work and RCIA.

Now, when I say I've exercised my right, I'm talking about my hard earned right to vote as a woman. Since women have only been "allowed" to vote since 1920, I feel very privileged, and will do my best to make it to any and all Presidential elections as possible. I know my vote counts and always will. Sometimes though, it's hard to see how one measly little person can make such a difference in the world. Back when Kerry was running, I voted for him. Every person that I talked to voted for Kerry...and I mean EVERY PERSON, yet Bush still won the election. That year I told myself I would never vote again because 'apparently my vote didn't count.' Wrong. It counts, sometimes it just doesn't turn out the way YOU may have voted for it. Either way, I hope everyone realizes how important it is to get out and vote.

This year, America will have an historical Presidential election, no matter which way it goes. If John McCain gets elected, we will have a female Vice President that will have to take over if something detrimental happens to McCain. If Barack Obama gets elected, we will have the first President of African American descent. However, if Barack Obama gets elected, we will also have the first President that technically might not have been 'able' to run due to the fact that he may be an illegal...hmm.

I personally voted for McCain. I think he's more what this country needs right now. Obama is a smooth talker. That's it. He's an extremely intelligent man, but he dances around the issues rarely giving a straight answer. I want to know your stance. Period. Not how you might tweak things to make it more appropriate, but how you feel about it, and exactly what you're going to do to change it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think either of them really gave to-the-point answers on some of the issues, but I feel that McCain did a better job of saying "this is what needs to happen and this is what I will do". Not to mention the fact that McCain has actual military experience along with leadership experience that should be necessary to running in a Presidential race. Now, don't even get me started on the abortion issue...it's wrong. Which is where at least 80% of my decision came from. Cletus posted It's Election Time on his blog. He actually wrote to the Obama Campaign to ask a question about the abortion topic. You'll notice that they didn't really even answer the question that he asked...

Anyhoo...I hope EVERYONE will make it out to vote today. There really are no excuses. If you don't vote, don't complain about what's going on in this country. Today is your ONE CHANCE to let your voice be heard, and to make your choice on which direction YOU want this wonderful country to move.

~Peanut


"Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote."
-George Jean Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment