So last night was our monthly girls night. We talked about boys, interesting driving stories (that's a whole post in itself...), former pets, and the fact that Jaibee's cat sheds enough to cover another whole cat in a matter of about 5 minutes. We had some good food, good talks, and good drinks!
One of the stories that came up when we were talking about pets, was my previous stint with fish. Probably about 5 or 6 years ago, I was living in an apartment in Clarkston with my brother and my (now...obviously...) ex boyfriend. We had a partial wall between the living room and the kitchen, where we had 2-10 gallon tanks set up. One was my brother's, the other was mine. I had a few goldfish, a few snails, a couple of mollies, and some tetras. They were entertainment for HOURS for the 2 cats. Well, I got down to one death-proof goldfish, 2 mollies, and a couple of snails. A bout of ich took out a few of them at once. The goldfish was the 'fancy' kind...with the pretty double tail, and the mollies were dalmatian mollies...black and white spotted. Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate the disc that has all of the old fish pictures on it so you all will have to just use your imagination!
Well, when I bought the goldfish, I actually bought 3 of them. One died before moving into the apartment, and another died shortly after. I think moving was just too much stress for the poor guy! Anyways...I'm down to one goldfish, 2 mollies (male and female), and a couple of snails. One day I got up and noticed that the female mollie was quite a bit more 'plump' than normal. Hmm. Well, the within the next few days after that, she was less 'plump', and I noticed these little bitty things in the tank! She had babies!!! About 30 of the little suckers. The goldfish apparently thought they were pretty tasty, and it ate most of them. I think the rest were eaten by the mom and dad mollies. Well, this cycle happened again, only this time...I bought a breeders net. I was able to get about 25 of the babies from the second batch into the breeders net, and out of reach of the monstrous, death-proof goldfish. It all worked for about a week. By that time, the baby mollies were probably about 1/2" long. The goldfish managed to chew a hole in the netting, and the babies escaped. Some got eaten...some survived. One actually managed to grow to about an inch in length...almost full size! Well, after this whole fun event, I came home to a belly-up goldfish...apparently the babies were too much competition for it. **giggle** I really wouldn't mind getting more mollies eventually. They're cool little fishies!!!
Ok, now on to the flowers. A little while back, I got some lilies from a lady that I work with. She brought them in for a few of us because they were getting 'out of control' at her house. I LOVE lilies...so I put them in the front flower beds. That was about 6 weeks ago I think. There were some full on plants, some sprouts, and a few bulbs. I tossed all of them in their own little holes, covered them, and gave them a good drink! They're not doing to shabby! No blooms yet, but there are buds on a few of them. Check it out!
The larger of the 2 flower beds...
The 'big boy'...(look at all those buds!!!)
The 'big boy's' little brother...
This one started as just a bulb! How cute! LOL
And this is my new sunflower garden in the back yard. There are 16 sprouts, and 2 that I would still consider 'seedlings'...can't wait for these bad boys to grow!
And with that...I'm going to bed. It's late, and I get to sleep in tomorrow!!! YAY!!! I've been so stinking tired the last few days, it's not even funny!
Good night blog world.
Rest in peace...
Adam Thad Riviera
October 1, 1987 - May 17, 2009