Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I want to be a better parent...

Ok. This isn't the original idea for the "new post" I mentioned here, but it will work... Maybe I'll still tackle the other one some day, but for the time being, I can't see it coming off as very nice at all, so it will have to wait!

Anyways... As the title suggests, I want to be a better parent. I saw a blog post the other day that said "You're not a bad parent if..." and named off quite a few different things about parenting in general. I know I'm not a "bad" parent. I do my best to keep my kids in check and keep them safe (especially while we're adjusting to all of the new things in the new house), but along with that comes a lot of frustration, a few spankings, and quite a bit of yelling. I don't want to be "that" parent anymore. I hate seeing my kids get sad because I yelled at them. After all...Julia is only 3, and Justin isn't even 2! What on EARTH makes me think that they understand everything that I say to them? They don't. And that's something that ***I*** need to understand. They are generally well behaved kiddos, and do what we ask them to more often than not, so I really need to work on keeping my frustrations in check!

So...my promises to my kids:

1 - I promise to give you two chances before I "take action".
2 - I promise to be firm, not yell at you the first chance I get.
3 - I promise to get down on your level when I need to talk to you.
4 - I promise to read you books a few times a day.
5 - I promise to get down on the floor and play with you while Alaina is sleeping.
6 - I promise to work my hardest to be the best mommy I can be.
7 - I promise to talk to daddy and have him do the same as me.
8 - I promise to not use the TV as a "babysitter" more than 3 times a week. (Not days, either. 3 TIMES. This is going to be a tough one since your baby sister nurses at least 4 times a day.)
9 - I promise to lead by example.
10 - I promise to get "school" going again in the very near future. You both really enjoy it, and I love that you're learning!

For now, that is all!

God bless,
~Stacy

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I think many people can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the main reasons I'm doing the no-yelling challenge. I want so badly to be a better mother and for my kids not to grow up feeling the way that I did. :)

    ReplyDelete