Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

I think it's time for me to do something.

Actually, I know it is. And I feel absolutely terrible that I haven't done it sooner.

See, I let my "social life", which is entirely online, completely consume me. I'm always checking my phone seeing if anything new has happened on BabyCenter, Instagram, games, and the many Facebook groups I'm in. It needs to slow way down, and it needs to happen now. My kids are starting to ask to play games on my old phone and the tablet I scored from my brother-in-law for super cheap. They're always asking to watch TV or movies. To me, it's unacceptable for them to get too much screen time, so why should it be any different for me? They learn from me. They mimic me. They look up to me for  guidance, so why not act myself, the way that I want them to act. Learn by example. Do as I DO. Not do as I SAY.

It's time to change. I have to do this. For me. For my kids. For my marriage.

It won't be easy for me, believe me. I find myself obsessing over things, and it really needs to stop. For now, I'm aiming for an hour a day consecutively of no screen time with myself. Maybe more! Once I get past that first hour, it's generally pretty easy to ignore the pull, but sometimes it gets the best of me. I don't need to walk around with my phone in my hand again. They don't need to learn that habit. Not now. Not at 2, 4, and 5 years old. They need to be running, playing, learning...I need that, too. So from here on out, I'm giving myself to them as much as I can. I'm going to work on my bravery (or lack thereof) with taking all three of them outside to play. We all need sun, fresh air, and play. I need them, and they need me. Not a distracted me. Just. ME. I'll try to blog about my successes, my failures, and I encourage you to do the same! I'll still be doing things I want to do because none of us deserve to lose ourselves in any way, but I'll definitely be focusing more on my children. After all...I was blessed with them, why not truly cherish that, and be thankful?

It starts today. Why don't you join me?

God bless,
Stacy

1 comment:

  1. A no-screen hour sounds pretty good. Perhaps I'll get some more reading done. I feel like I haven't been able to do that very much lately. I will start today (Saturday). :)

    Good luck! I know your babies will love playing with you even more!

    ReplyDelete