Monday, October 25, 2010

What a weekend...

So, shortly before my previous post, I realized my little girl was getting sick.  She hadn't napped more than 45 minutes at a time all day, and in turn was over-tired and whiny all day.  She looked terrible once 5:00-ish rolled around.  Red eyes, stuffy runny nose (runny enough to rival a 6 year old boy!), breathing through her mouth, tears *every* time she cried...I felt so bad for her!  I had no idea what to do.  The whole day was spent playing with her trying to keep her happy.  The moment mommy or daddy walked away or set her down, she would start crying again.  At one point, she started to feel noticeably warm to me.  I took her upstairs and took her temperature.  It was about 100.1 under the arm, so you have to add a degree.  Granted, it's a VERY low grade fever, but it's enough to make her miserable!  I went ahead and gave her some Tylenol, since it really came out of nowhere, and I wanted to be pro-active (so not my style to give medicine when not 100% necessary...).  I then stripped her down to just her diaper and headed back downstairs.  Then, Michael and I decided to let her sleep if she fell asleep...well...she slept alright!  On me!  =)  Snuggle time!  Anyways...after about an hour and a half, her temp had only gone down to 99.6.  I waited another half hour and gave her a dose of Motrin to see if that would help.  I later realized that I had only given her half a dose.  Well, another 2 hours later, I gave her another dose of Tylenol - it was about 9 pm at that point.  Her temp went back up after that dose to 100.6.  I alternated Motrin and Tylenol the rest of the night with her "double dose" at 1 am.  Half of the night was spent trying to calm her, relax her, soothe she could get to sleep.  I even tried sleeping on the floor in the nursery with her...which wasn't going to happen.  That's another story in itself.  At one point, I just brought her into our bedroom so that *I* could get some sleep!  She snoozed for about 3 hours...the longest stretch of the night.  I don't know why the thought didn't cross my mind to give her Orajel...after all, I figured she was just I felt bad when Michael suggested it.  I didn't give her anymore Tylenol or Motrin after 5 am because I wanted to see what her temp would do.

In the morning, when she woke at 7, her forehead actually felt cold to the touch so I wrapped her up in one of her fleece blankets, and snuggled her for a bit.  She slept some more laying on my chest.  I kept an eye on her temp for the rest of the day, and it pretty much stayed in the low 99* range.  It got up to 99.8 at one point but that was the highest it reached.  She actually did pretty good all day.  Napped relatively well, seemed MUCH happier than Saturday, but once the evening was all over again!  She went down relatively easily, but woke up just after Michael and I decided to sit down to watch a movie...and was up until about 9:30 I think.  *sigh*

I took her to the pediatrician today and discovered that she has a minor ear infection...again.  She hasn't had one in a few months...more meds...yay.  But hey...hopefully I'll have my smiley happy little girl back soon!

Anyways...that was my weekend.  How was yours?

God bless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awwww! i hope she's feeling better :)